upgradePlex not working

Can you run this command and then restart Plex from your dashboard.

removepackage-cron

This puts you on systemd, which is the new default for QuickBox. A reboot may be required (it’s highly recommended)

Apologies for this, the pain is far less after you get caught up on this new iteration.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did #removepackage-cron after I first upgraded to 2.4.x ; however, I just did it again based on your suggestion. Rebooted my server, then restarted Plex from my dashboard.

Same problem as before…?

Can you still access Plex on port 32400?

Also, are you on Debian or Ubuntu?

This does nothing more than update Plex the way they suggest to officially update it. It doesn’t modify any apache settings or directories. It just updates the plex core. Not sure why it would randomly block you out. :confused:

wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.0.2.2413-7caf41d/plexmediaserver_1.0.2.2413-7caf41d_amd64.deb
mkdir -p plex-tmp
mv plexmediaserver_*.deb plex-tmp/plexmediaserver_*.deb
cd plex-tmp
dpkg -i plexmediaserver_*.deb
rm -rf plex-tmp
service plexmediaserver restart
1 Like

Sort of. If I change http://my.server.ip:31400/web to http://my.server.ip:32400/web … Plex does show up, however, it only shows up with my local media server (the one on my Macbook). It’s no longer connected to my seedbox (QuickBox) Plex.

Now, I did remove my seedbox (QuickBox) server from Plex web settings / devices about an hour ago hoping that it would help fix my issues connecting but obviously not. Prior to my removing it from settings / devices … the server would typically show up under settings but it had a really hard time connecting to my Roku Stick (which always worked perfectly before I manually updated Plex on my seedbox late last night per this thread) and when it did, it wasn’t transcoding (Cannot access this file. Make sure your system has permission to access the file or something).

I’m on Debian 8. The only other thing I can think of is that there were updates to several packages… php, openssh, etc. that I pulled down via apt-get update && upgrade over the past day or two. I’ve also been updating QuickBox via the QB dashboard (“Check for Updates”) probably daily for the last week or so keeping fresh with all the new changes. I don’t know if one of these things inadvertently screwed something up?

Pulling my hair out, I just want to get Plex back up and running again as this is one of the main reasons I even pay for a seedbox, as well as being the only reason I even have a Roku. Sorry if I screwed something up on my end? But I’m not a total moron when it comes to this stuff and all the ‘usual suspects’ or fixes are not working. I really love QuickBox otherwise and surely appreciate the help.

Also, FWIW … I did run all of those manual upgrade commands again an hour or two ago before posting on here just to try and reinstall the latest update and see if that would reset things back to normal - but it didn’t help. I did notice that it didn’t ask me this time if I wanted to keep my old config like it did the first time I ran it last night.

And while digging around trying to fix this issue myself this afternoon, I also noticed that under /etc/systemd/system … there only exists “plexmediaserver.service.prev”. I’m pretty sure it wants a “plexmediaserver.service”. So I backed it up and renamed it to “plexmediaserver.service” and restarted the server but this also didn’t seem to help. Though I just looked and its now back to “plexmediaserver.service.prev”. I’m not sure if this was from the last time I reinstalled the latest PMS via wget and dpkg or if something else is forcing it or renaming it to *.prev?

Great, thanks for the thorough feedback.

Let’s try a few things.

Have you attempted to follow this guide:

Additionally, what is the output of ls -l /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/. Does it show plex.conf as a listed configuration.

Ah, ok… could you try this for me real quick also:

systemctl daemon-reload
update-rc.d plexmediaserver remove
service plexmediaserver stop
systemctl enable plexmediaserver.service
systemctl stop plexmediaserver.service
systemctl start plexmediaserver.service

I meant to also comment on the plexmediaserver.service.prev file. This is in fact changed by plex on the update. However, you can leave it labeled as such due to Plex being systemd compatible in newer versions on it’s own.

It is loaded from…

/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service

Just going to go through every possible scenario till we hit the magic button.

It sounds like your reverse proxy is broken. Can you paste the output of:

cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/plex.conf for us to examine?

1 Like

OK, so ls -l /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ outputs -

total 20K
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1.3K Jul 24 19:27 aliases-seedbox.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1.3K Jul 24 19:27 aliases-seedbox.conf.orig
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1.6K Jul 1 20:14 default-ssl.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 116 Jul 1 20:14 fileshare.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 0 Jul 1 21:01 plex.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 425 Jul 20 15:01 xxxx.console.conf

I did have remote access enabled before …back when my QuickBox server was actually showing up under my servers. But it doesn’t even show up any longer, so there’s not a whole lot I can do there now. I did try going to http://my.server.ip:31400/web/ on a different browser just to be safe but no dice.

I also ran all of those systemctl commands you gave but no change. Still nada on http://my.server.ip:31400/web/ and there’s no unclaimed servers or anything showing up when I login to plex.tv myself (under 32400, etc).

I went back into /etc/systemd/system after running those systemctl commands and there still only exists a plexmediaserver.service.prev … no plexmediaserver.service

cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/plex.conf gives me nothing as far as output … ?

If that file is empty, you will need to add this. As @liara suggests… this could be why it’s not working. Not sure why that file would be blank. Here is the code to add.

Replace PUBLICIP with your server IP and then service apache2 restart

LoadModule proxy_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule proxy_http_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
<VirtualHost *:31400>
  ProxyRequests Off
  ProxyPreserveHost On
  <Proxy *>
    AddDefaultCharset Off
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
    AuthType Digest
    AuthName "rutorrent"
    AuthUserFile '/etc/htpasswd'
    Require valid-user
  </Proxy>
  ProxyPass / http://PUBLICIP:32400/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://PUBLICIP:32400/
</VirtualHost>
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
    Listen 31400
</IfModule>
1 Like

Making progress it appears … after populating my blank /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/plex.conf , and then pulling up http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx:31400/web via the Plex link on the QB dashboard (Main Menu), it did finally ask for my server credentials and log me into Plex. However, my seedbox/QB server still does not show up anywhere. It still only shows my local Plex server (which I’ve since logged out of and quit/exited to try and confuse everything as minimally as possible, so really it’s just attempting to connect to my local PMS server on my Macbook but can’t find it since it’s not online obviously). But under settings/devices or settings/servers, there’s nothing showing for my seedbox/QB server. No unclaimed servers, nothing. I restarted Plex from the QB dashboard again just for fun and tried to pull it up again. Same thing.

Please ensure that manual port mapping is disabled. Does the server say it can be accessed remotely?

If so we can move on to other troubleshooting steps.

1. sign out and in of your account at plex.tv/web/app

And/or

1. try to access plex.tv/web/app from another network (I.e. your mobile phone)

This will help us determine if the problem is localized to your network or not.

No, I can’t access anything regarding port mapping or anything else about my remote (seedbox) server. It’s nowhere to be found on plex.tv … it’s no longer listed under settings/devices (if you look up at one of my earlier posts, I explained how I removed my seedbox server from settings/devices earlier today hoping it would show back up after logging out/logging back in in an effort to fix my other issues I was having with it since the upgrade … but it’s never shown back up since then).

There are no unclaimed servers and the only server I can access or see at all under settings, library, or otherwise is my local Macbook Plex server.

I have tried signing out of Plex multiple times, no change.

I also just went to plex.tv/web/app from my mobile phone using my cellular network and everything was the same. No sign of my seedbox server anywhere at all … only my local server. FWIW, I know the Plex web app settings pretty darn well by now (IE - remote server, manual port mapping, etc) so I’m pretty certain I’m not missing anything simple. The server really is just gone from my Plex account. I’m not sure why it won’t show back up as an unclaimed server, etc. but it just can’t find it or see it at all apparently…

It sounds like you need to log out of plex and all devices… attempt that wiki once more.

Login to Plex on your seedbox to check the settings.

Going through port 31400 from the panel should allow you full access to the server and allow you to reclaim the server. Are you saying that even when accessing the server through the proxy that you are unable to reach the server settings?

I’ve logged out of Plex on all devices several times, including again just now … I went back to the wiki to see if I missed anything but there’s really nothing on that page that applies to me (besides logging out on all devices and restarting PMS on the server and then logging back in, which I’ve done many times now), as my seedbox server literally doesn’t show up anywhere.

Correct. It doesn’t see the seedbox/QuickBox server at all even when accessing via the 31400 proxy. After signing out of my local Plex server, currently when I go to the 31400 proxy, it says “Looking for servers … please wait while servers are discovered” and the little loading/searching circle just spins and spins forever. It has no idea my seedbox/QB server exists.

That’s simply not possible - you would not be able to access port 32400 or 31400 if that were the case because the local server is bound to port 32400. If it couldn’t see the server, there wouldn’t be a Plex instance accessible from either port you would just get an error page. The fact that Plex loads says that Plex is running and doing its job.

I would suggest firing up a different browser, one that doesn’t have any cookies from your Plex session. Try to access the remote proxy again from a clean session. I have a feeling that your cookies are causing troubles

Also rather than waiting for it to appear in your list, go to settings > server . These should be the settings for the local server

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.