New install, can't use plex and disc space errors

Plex is installed and has a green light next to it, but I get a 503 error when I try to open the page. Likewise, the disk space checker is broken and shows negative free space on a 150GB drive (I’m running this in an Ubuntu VM on Hyper-V). I installed to /

Hello @ianhyzy,

For the space checker, I think that it’s normal. Do you used the command “setdisk” for your main user ?

Yes. I tried a fresh VM/install and that worked, but plex was still broken so I just installed it myself.

This is a known issue with Plex recently. They have released a few versions now wherein the permissions are not set properly. In most cases it is due to Plex simply not having the needed permissions to install it’s Library.

Hi,

So, what can we do to have plex working?

Thanks,

There have been quite a few posts regarding Plex lately. This has worked for me:

Ok, but for me plex does not start on the server

Remove and uninstall plex from QuickBox and just ush SSH to install it the normal way. you can use https://github.com/mrworf/plexupdate to make it even easier.

Finally Plex is working after a lot of uninstall and install.

But, I’ve set de quota via the setdisk cmd. And the quota doesn’t appear in the widget.

As per the widget, here are a couple of commands you can use to get it fixed without a bunch of footwork.

If you are using a /home partition:
fix-disk_widget_home

If you are using /(root) partition:
fix-disk_widget_root

As per plex, you will not need to use other packages or repos. From SSH you can use the QuickBox CLI installer, type box install plex.

Haven’t been able to install Plex lately on 2 servers

root~# box install plex

Installing plex
chown: invalid spec: ‘plex:’

root:~# systemctl status plexmediaserver
● plexmediaserver.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)

let me guess… Debian?

indeed it’s debian!

I was just noticing this on a test VM with Debian. (I’ve been away for a bit). I’ll need to examine it closer with time permitting and see why it fails so hard in Debian. Can you install it properly? As in following the Plex’s own guidelines?

it’s working by Plex own guideline

wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.1.4.2757-24ffd60/plexmediaserver_1.1.4.2757-24ffd60_amd64.deb
dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.1.4.2757-24ffd60_amd64.deb

and then setting up tunnel

2nd server:
sd-85420:~# dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.1.4.2757-24ffd60_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package plexmediaserver.
(Reading database … 71567 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack plexmediaserver_1.1.4.2757-24ffd60_amd64.deb …
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.1.4.2757-24ffd60) …
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.1.4.2757-24ffd60) …
OK
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service to /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.
Job for plexmediaserver.service failed. See ‘systemctl status plexmediaserver.service’ and ‘journalctl -xn’ for details.
dpkg: error processing package plexmediaserver (–install):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) …
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u5) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
plexmediaserver

Yeah, I can confirm this. I just encountered this on @Titte95’s server -Ubuntu- (thanks again :smiley: ) It looks like it may be an issue with how the package installer is firing the commands and in a matter of timing. I just installed it step by step without issue. I’ll definitely find some time to sort this out soon.

In the meantime, for anyone interested and/or having this issue, you can view the script here… it works, just follow step by step and make sure to add these commands first before following the rest of the steps:

OUTTO="/srv/rutorrent/home/db/output.log"
HOSTNAME1=$(hostname -s)
PUBLICIP=$(ip route get 8.8.8.8 | awk 'NR==1 {print $NF}')
local_setup=/root/QuickBox/setup/

So I tried to remove installed Plex

(1:70)# box remove plex

Removing plex rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf’: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/default/plexmediaserver’: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ‘/srv/rutorrent/home/.plex’: No such file or directory
Terminated

Tried to copy/paste each line manually from linked script but without luck

Not sure why you’d encounter this issue. I tested it on both Ubuntu and Debian without issue. The failed lines are stating that those files were never created to begin with, thus it cannot remove them. I did push an update that addressed a couple of issues with Plex and this has been verified and working by several members.

Could you run the updater on your dashboard and then attempt to install Plex from the dashboard as well?

Ran updater and tried to install:

(1:72)# systemctl status plexmediaserver -l
● plexmediaserver.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Mon 2016-10-10 21:51:15 CEST; 23h ago

Oct 10 21:51:09 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
Oct 10 21:51:09 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
Oct 10 21:51:15 sd-85420 systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Oct 10 21:51:15 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Stopping Plex Media Server for Linux…
Oct 10 21:51:15 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux…
Oct 10 21:51:15 sd-85420 systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Oct 10 21:51:15 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
Oct 10 21:51:15 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
Oct 11 07:59:02 sd-85420 systemd[1]: Stopped Plex Media Server for Linux.

What is this in reference to? Did you run the update and then run the installer from the dashboard?
Additionally, that states that plexmediaserver (the service) is not even installed… if you followed those steps verbatim… it would be, as apt-get -y install plexmediaserver is one of the steps involved.