Is my box connected to QuickBox by any means?

I guess what I’m trying to ask is is this a self hosted solution or is it something that requires to be connected to this website (quickbox.io).

I haven’t installed it yet, but what’s the deal with the ***.quickbox.io subdomain thing?

Hey @Sheldon, thanks for your question and your concern.

QuickBox is a Free open-source professional-grade dashboard. What you see with the subdomain on the index page is really just a statement ‘It’s YOUR QuickBox’ and not an actual point-of-sale… as we are not selling anything and QuickBox is entirely self-hosted… we provide no servers as our commitment is too great to the Project itself :slight_smile:

As per connections to QuickBox, we value the security of your server as well as the privacy of anyone using QuickBox and as such there are zero callbacks to this site or anywhere else (outside the bounds of needing a service to function). The code is entirely open for review and we encourage everyone to check it out and to always know exactly what they are installing on their servers. I will say however, there is only one ping out from the box and that is with the repo structure that gets installed on your hardware, this is only to connect to the QuickBox Github repositories to perform updates effortlessly from your dashboard.

Thanks so much for the reply! I have a couple follow up questions.

1. Is QuickBox production ready?

2. Which hosts work the best with QuickBox?

Not a problem.

1. QuickBox is production ready, I will say that the software is still technically in it’s infancy so there may be some minor bugs here in there. Don’t let this deter you however as we pride our level of support on a free solution :wink:
  2. I would highly recommend Online.net. If you’re searching for something closer to your location and Online doesn’t fit the build, try to build your server making use of RAID0 and a /(root) mounted partition.

…and please, ask questions all you like!

1 Like

I’ve tried on DigitalOcean but it wen’t bananas. I killed the server so I don’t have the log sadly.

That may actually be due to how they provide their kernels. I am fairly certain that, though they are KVM provisioned, they are also custom and do not allow users to install new or other custom kernels… that may had been the issue. I will check this out though as I am curious about these bananas.

Can you suggest any host that provides cheap storage and decent quality servers that would work well with QuickBox ?

Checkout OneProvider.com. They are an Online.net reseller, but you can usually find some rockin’ deals. A lot of locations to choose from as well. In all honesty, they are about the cheapest I would go.

Cool, thanks so much!

Any time! :thumbsup:

1 Like

Hey quick question, last one!

I don’t think this would work considering it’s a different architecture, but on the slight possibility, could it run on a Raspberry Pi?

I don’t actually see why it wouldn’t work, but do expect installation times to double. I personally haven’t done any sort of testing on rpi

The thing is, raspberry is ARM.

QuickBox isn’t reliant so much on Architecture as much as it is the NTFS basic file storage and partitions to mount quotas. In most cases, if any software can be installed on rpi (Plex, rtorrent, btsync … etc) then it should theoretically work with QuickBox. Most of what you see in QuickBox is php and secure hooks made to /usr/bin/ directories for secure command execution.

Alrighty then, I’ll try it out.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi might help after you get your ssh running installing script should be pretty straght forward.

the only downside is that the pi is limited to little up and down so it would really be slow when downloading to sd but if you were say able to create a /home on a raid of the usb ports it might help but then still limited to the 100mb port.
but you only asked if it could be installed not if it would be practical to install :stuck_out_tongue: lol hope this helps if you really want i can pull out my pi and see if i can get it running for proof of concept.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!

@Sheldon, I tested this all day yesterday on RPi and it looks like it is a no-go. There are a number of dependencies that fail to install due to the architecture, they would require being rewritten to match acceptable sources for RPi and this isn’t something I see forecast any time in the future… unless some crazed RPi fan wanted to convert… but I don’t see that happening either.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. I had a feeling it was something to do with the architecture.