Why I'm not upgrading my configuration

Originally published at: https://quickbox.io/blog/why-im-not-upgrading-my-configuration/

Over the past week, I’ve been thinking about whether I should update my rig. With all of the new processors out, and with AMD clearly smashing it with their products, I thought about moving my dedicated to an AMD server.

However, when comparing Apples to Apples, my decision quickly changed.

When it comes to my dedicated server, I’m always looking for the next best thing, the next cool new piece of software that could resolve an issue, or a bug bear that I may have. I love tinkering with my server. So, with that mindset, I also play around with the hardware too. And I like upgrading my server rig.

There comes a certain amount of joy looking at hardware, and comparing prices. Whilst in the future, I would love to have my own personal rig, renting a dedicated server is the next best thing.

I was comparing a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X against a Intel® Core™ i9-9900K. When I’m comparing CPUs I mainly look at CPU benchmark websites and compare the values. You can compare the two using this website that I tend to use. Click here.

As you can see, I wouldn’t be gaining anymore threads, but the CPU score is slight higher on the AMD CPU. I’d only be gaining maybe a 10%-15% performance increase. Now whilst that is good, it’s not good enough for me to justify wanting to upgrade my server for that little benefit. With the amount of man hours it would take to set up a brand new server, it would cost me more.

However, that’s not to say I’d be open to doing the work for maybe a 40%-50% increase though.

What do you think? Let me know on Discord.