Very new to this - trying to understand

Apologies in advance to the users of this system who are advanced.

I am trying to get a basic understanding of how this all works.

So if i have this right so far, i take out a seedbox somewhere, having nothing installed on it (fresh setup or install) and with root access ssh into the seedbox server and run the setup script ?

So where i am confused is, with this QB setup the whole server is used by QB and i cant run anything else on the server?

Is it possible to run a hypervisor installed on bare metal then run QB as a VM with all the usual allocation of RAM, CPU, DISK etc?

If that is possible (ie, QB will run ok and give decent performance setup like that) then could i run QB under UNRAID as a VM? I have read here you cant QB as a docker yet.

Just trying to understand my install options.

Thanks for your patience with an uber newb

yes you can use it in a vm though torrenting with vm is kinda annoying but that’s just me some people like it.

Thanks dtech.

Why do you say torrenting thru a VM is annoying? I have no direct experience of this so defer to you on this.

I want to run UNRAID on bare metal then using KVM, spin up a VM for QB.

On QB i want to allocate 8 HDD’s under its VM. How does QB handle multiple HDD’s ? As JBOD or as a Raid ? If RAID, which RAID? do we get a choice or does the QB system choose? How much RAM is ideal for fast seeding performance ? I want to setup a new server for this so can get whatever is required. I dont want more RAM then i can practically use but i also dont want to starve QB of RAM and i want to seed fast. Maybe seeding fast under a VM’d QB wont happen???

I have taken a “slice” with a seedbox provider just to install QB so i can get first hand experience with it and start learning.

That’s Dtech’s opinion :stuck_out_tongue: - It’s simpler to have a dedicated machine for the fact that you can control every aspect of the server and one of those being kernels and additional OS tweaks (advanced)

This is a good idea and as long as you are managing the master node to control additional security updates downstream… I see nothing wrong with this. KVM is going to be far more superior to OpenVZ. You can test out installing QuickBox on a KVM node by spinning up a quick Digital Ocean droplet.

QuickBox will handle multiple drives as long as they are in a RAID array. 8xHDD in RAID10 would be good, however; make sure this is a Hardware RAID and not a Software RAID. Since this isn’t data critical info, I always tend to lean towards RAID0 for speed and total combined space usage. The only downside to this… 8 HDD increases your chances for one drive to screw the pooch if it goes upside down. I would certainly run some SMART tests after receiving these, if they’re relatively new, RAID0. Older drives I would examine more redundancy in the off chance there is a drive failure.

QuickBox does not choose for you as it is looking for either a /home or /(root) partition… not RAID, this is up to you. :slight_smile:

Anything over 2GB is typically OK, however; if you are running a beastly setup and want to run multiple applications and scripts/custom scripts. I would at least get 8GB. SWAP isn’t critical, but I would shoot for at the very least 2GB. This is not for the sake of QuickBox… it’s for the additional applications running that you choose to install on your system.

You may not be able to seek out OS & HDD tweaks etc that can utilize the server and it’s network to the fullest, but you should still be able to seed just as good as anyone else. All that matters is Network and Hardware, i.e: Disk throughput. If you opt for a provider with a crappy network, then you’ll get nowhere. Online.net, OneProvider (Online.net reseller) and Hetzner are splendid options.

Hey JMsolo,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

OK it all looks good. Lots to think through but basically what i am thinking of doing is entirely reasonable on the hardware i want to purchase and install.

Thanks for the info. I am sure i will be back for more as i go forward.

Rgds