Updating Quickbox

As far as upgrading Quickbox, is there a quick command upgrade to the latest version?

Thanks as always, currently testing : A new 14.04 install, upgrade it to 16.04 and install the 16.04 script.

I think it could be a potential breakage as the 16.04 script is solely reliant on PHP 7 whereas the 14.04 scripts work with older (now deprecated) dependencies, as well as php5. You would essentially have to purge php5 first, then attempt to write in php7.0 manually… these should do the trick:

apt-get install -y language-pack-en-base
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php

apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade

apt-get update && apt-get purge php.* && apt-get --purge autoremove && apt-get install php7.0 php7.0-fpm \
php7.0-mbstring php7.0-zip php7.0-mysql php7.0-curl php7.0-gd php7.0-json php7.0-mcrypt php7.0-opcache \
php7.0-xml php7.0-bcmath php7.0-zip libapache2-mod-php7.0

For now updating is a bit of a “follow the commit trail” so it is on a patch by patch basis. There is a plan to start implementing releases coupled with an api here soon. It’s one of the major to-do’s in the current pipeline of the project.

1 Like

@JMSolo this was my bad, i asked 2 questions in one…
For the upgrading the OS test :
I can confirm, that a fresh install of 14.04 (like most dedicated seedbox hosts provide) can be upgraded with “do-release-upgrade -d” and once it’s finally done, you can THEN for the first time on the box run the 16.04 script to install Quickbox. Since by default install of the OS there isn’t php installed the only version is 7 :

[root@sb]:(935.2kb)~# php -v
PHP 7.0.4-7ubuntu2 (cli) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2016 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2016 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2016, by Zend Technologies

As far as the other part, lets say on a system i install quickbox, and you release an update, is there an in place way to update ONLY quickbox?

Without my ramblings and in short, not yet, but this is a primary focus for the upcoming revisions.

At the present moment, it’s just patch by patch updates. However, this doesn’t solve updates for already installed versions, most updates are patching the script for future installs.

Tomorrow I am going to lay out a template however that will solve these issues and make updating much easier. I think aiming for a pre-installed executable, i.e; quickbox-update , would be the most efficient and less evil way to perform such tasks. The update script will be geared towards updating current installs, rather than focusing on updating the script.

The API will make this a much simpler task as it will inform users there is an update on their dashboard. The api then, being tied to the repo api, pulls the necessary patches for an already installed system. This will ensure ONLY QuickBox receives it’s necessary updates as they are released, rather than attempting to systemically install all over again… which could potentially bork some setups.

1 Like

I see :slight_smile: if you need any help with it, do not hesitate to let me know. I can test, test, test! I have snapshots of every major release of ubuntu just for testing chef upgrades. Sadly, my main day to day is scripting for chef to automate system builds and I really have not looked too far out of that realm, but i will help as much as possible!

1 Like

I am incredibly appreciative for your gesture. It will aid me far more than you may realize.

Also, I was looking at your version for php. Is that the prepackaged php7 included with 16.04?
I get readouts from the onrej ppa as follows

PHP 7.0.6-3+donate.sury.org~wily+2 (cli) ( NTS )

I wonder what the changelog is for those versions as I may just stick to stock php7 rather than having the script insist on adding additional keys and sources.

No worries :slight_smile:

And yes, that was just what was installed with the script (quickbox) i did not install anything manually, and this was from an updated 14.04 to 16.04 box. Everything is working as intended post install.

Good to know! Thanks for that info.

1 Like

Just as a follow up, after testing 3 times on a stage environment (as to not have to rebuild my dedicated server from my seedbox company) Here were the results :

[root@sb]:(943.8kb)~# php -v
PHP 7.0.4-7ubuntu2 (cli) ( NTS )
[root@sb]:(943.8kb)~# apt-get update
Hit:1 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:2 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Hit:3 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease
Hit:4 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease
Hit:5 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
[root@sb]:(943.8kb)~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
[root@sb]:(943.8kb)~#