Updating Applications - What a Chore!

Originally published at: https://quickbox.io/blog/updating-applications-what-a-chore/

So if you’ve been following my blogs for a while now (and if you haven’t – welcome) I like automation. I love the idea of setting something up and letting it be knowing that all the applications will work seamlessly without much if at all any intervention.

I was recently writing up some new knowledge base articles and when I was collating my screenshots for them, I realised that the majority of my applications, had pending updates. I had completely forgotten to turn on the automatic updates.

This meant I was two or three versions behind the latest updates. I was missing out on key security updates, new features, bug fixes and so much more!

Like with anything, it is really important to be fully up-to-date with your applications that you have installed and to ensure that if there are major bugs that need to be fixed, that they are fixed as soon as possible. I don’t want to be in a situation where my application gets compromised and it was due to the fact that I didn’t update my versions.

So I wanted to write this blog post to remind everyone that you don’t have to update each application you’ve got installed manually and a lot of them (including QuickBox) has the functionality to update automatically.

This gives you the piece of mind that your versions are fully up-to-date and you can do what I do – just let things be.

We have brand new articles going through some of the major applications you can install on QuickBox and how to either update them manually, or turn on the automatic updates feature!

Just take a look at our Applications section of the Knowledge Base for more information.

Don’t like the idea of having to update QuickBox each time a new version comes out? Why not consider looking at taking the management out of your QuickBox platform with our Total Server Management service. We can do the work for you for just $30 a month!

Total Server Management Service