Sonarr Version 3 - What's the Hype about?

Originally published at: https://quickbox.io/blog/sonarr-version-3-whats-the-hype-about/

So for the past few weeks, I’ve been using the new version of Sonarr and it’s been an interesting experience. First of all, the upgrade experience was really easy to do.

I had to manually take a backup of Sonarr version 2 before going through the upgrade process within QuickBox and then magically it was all installed. I didn’t have to do any work for it to work. As the upgrade path had been built into version 3, it was really simple.

So, with the upgrade completed, it was time to start working. First of all, a feature that had been sorely missed was the ability to mass delete TV shows.

I had around 450 TV Shows that were completed and just sat in Sonarr that needed to be deleted and in version 2, it was a chore to go into each series and delete it. So having the ability to mass delete shows was amazing.

Not only that, the new user interface looks great. If you had used Lidarr previously, then you will be familiar with the new interface. It was really fantastic for the seamless migration to the new UI as I was already familiar with this.

In addition to this, the way that Sonarr now deals with adding shows and using the TVDB API is slightly different giving more stability to the software.

Now, Sonarr version 3 is still technically in beta, however, it is very much stable enough to continue to add shows and manage adding new shows to the software too.

Now, like the rest of the user base, I wish Sonarr had the ability to manage lists so that I don’t have to manually add new shows to it, however, I’m sure that the developers of Sonarr are working hard on new features each and every day.

So the question remains, should you update to Sonarr v3? Well, Sonarr v2 is no longer getting any updates and Sonarr v3 is stable, and has a lot of under-the-hood changes. If you want regular updates, some new features, and a stable version of Sonarr, then yes you should upgrade. However, the age-old saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.