I'll try those suggestions and post results below.
You want more info, here is some background. It has to be a bug in a package update somewhere. This was a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Server about 2 weeks ago for the exclusive purpose of installing QuickBox. The QuickBox installation was done right after the OS install, after I finished doing the initial apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, and a reboot. The only other things that have been installed were done via the Package Management Center in the QuickBox web GUI. I installed CSF (Firewall) - Technically from the shell prompt but following the instruction given on the screen, SickRage, and nothing else. Those are the only two additional add-ons installed.
I did have to do some initial configuration on SickRage of course, but that and adding a few TV shows to confirm functionality is all I have done. It is been happily grabbing episodes and adding them into Deluge for about a week and a half, until last night. The changes must have happened via some automatic upgrade somewhere or an automated rule that kicked in on CSF, because I had not logged in for a couple of days. Deluge had a bunch more episodes seeding, but SickRage had stopped.
My point is that this is an extremely vanilla install, very clean as it had never had another purpose, and fairly new as well. I have not been tweaking with it or playing with it since it was setup. In essence, this is almost a clean lab environment install and broke without hands on. Whatever changed in the last few days did so without any user involvement.
Here are the results:
I don't need to su jreid because I login as jreid. It is the only user on the box. In order to run the commands posted prior I did a sudo su to get a root prompt.
[[email protected]]:(933.4kb)~/.sickrage$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 77, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
remote: Total 77 (delta 43), reused 43 (delta 43), pack-reused 28
Unpacking objects: 100% (77/77), done.
3dc24c9..a1f5e67 master -> origin/master
b556cbf..59914f5 auto-update-translations -> origin/auto-update-translations
3dc24c9..a1f5e67 develop -> origin/develop
* [new branch] fix-camelCases -> origin/fix-camelCases
* [new branch] grunt-improve -> origin/grunt-improve
be1cde8..a217968 trakt-images -> origin/trakt-images
* [new tag] v2017.03.31-3 -> v2017.03.31-3
sickbeard/helpers.py | 2 +-
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
After performing the pull I went into the web GUI and clicked refresh after SickRage. This time it started. I think this must confirm that something (an update mechanism of some kind) must have pulled an update with a bug in it that has since been fixed.