Service Control

Maybe some more Debian 8 wierdness :wink:

I don’t use iRRSi-Autodownload, so I want it to stay off…
I click on the Service Controller to turn it off and:

Shouldnt the Controller now be in the off position?

And a few minutes later:

Yeah, this is a known issue and I am am going to be putting out an update that solves this tomorrow. This does affect all Distro. I will be using arrays for this feature from here on out rather than switches… so they will toggle by service rather than by element functions.

you can also disable the plugin itself.

The way the panel works currently in QuickBox is that flicking the switch off issues a pkill $servicename which is based off the string found for the process set in ~/.startup. While the switch effectively kills the process, the cronjob will restart it when it realizes the process has died.

In the current iteration of quickbox, if you want to disable autodl you need to comment out the startup commands for autodl in the .startup file then switch it off. If you change the value for AUTODL_IRSSI to “NO” while you’re in there, it’ll also show the switch as off.

Curious to see how you’ll manage the switchup @JMSolo, I’ve been trying devise a way to keep track of service statuses without the need for the .startup file. With systemd it might be a bit easier because if the service is enabled there will be a physical file containing a symlink that we can search for, cron on the other hand, you’re limited to is the process currently running? Yes/No.

Absolutely yes… and this is the one thing that bothers me about the current iteration… the .startup file for cron. The only reason this is living anymore is due to Ubuntu 14.04 users. However, once QuickBox phases out support for 14.04 (as users should hop on maintained releases anyway) the use of systemd sounds like it is the best way to go… no… the only way to go.

In the meantime I will be using it solely as a means to announce if a service is enabled or disabled and the toggles will work off processes still - it’s going to be rather hacky, but until we move away from 14.04, it’s just the easiest solution.

downside is most people still plan on using 14.04 for a while :confused:
including many hosts… but at least the update distro is great way to change that lol.