Server not pinging after install

Hello,

I just have finished a fresh install of Quickbox on my server.

I encounter a problem, my server is not pinging after this install, even after reboot…

I already tried ssh on port 4747, and with command ssh username@serverip -p 4747.

I already check if the disk space availability, using chroot, with following commands, in rescue mode:

mount -t dev -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
/mnt/boot# mount -t proc -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
/mnt/boot# mount -t sys -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
/mnt/boot# chroot /mnt

I obtain the following results:

Sys. de fichiers Type Taille Utilisé Dispo Uti% Monté sur
/dev/sda3 ext4 916G 3,2G 866G 1% /
/dev/sda1 ext4 189M 107M 69M 61% /boot
udev devtmpfs 1,9G 0 1,9G 0% /dev

Remark : My server works well in rescue mode…

What can I do :(.

Thank you,
Pierre

Hello @darkpeter,

Your server is it hosted at Online.net ? Some users had the same issue.
Could you test your server ports with “common” TCP ports at https://pentest-tools.com/network-vulnerability-scanning/tcp-port-scanner-online-nmap ?

1 Like

I’m curious, as this is only happening with Online.net and OneProvider servers, did you opt to install BBR?

French OneProvider servers come from Online.net :wink:
One user has created a topic on mondedie.com which seems to be exactly the same issue.
Apparently, you need to ask to the support to “restart the IPMI interface” to resolve temporarly the issue (seems to work 24h and the issue is back). Could be a quick workaround for now.

@darkpeter Did you try to add your local ssh key to the server before rebooting ?

Hello/Salut!

My provider is OneProvider, with French located server (Online.net in fact).

I’ve try everything : add local ssh key to the server, ask the support to restart the IPMI interface. Restart IPMI works, but as you say, it only works 24H and then the issue is back…

I really do not recommend OneProvider. OK, this hoster is cheap, but OK also that there is no really good support, and when you have a problem, they do not take the time to solve it…

Luckily I only sign up for 1 month, and I just changed my hoster to Ikoula.

With Ikoula, everything works without any problem :).

Thank you!
Pierre

Hello/Salut @darkpeter,

I have a OP dedicated server since now 3 years and I never had any issue :wink:
I think there is a problem with Online’s dedicated servers and if Online can’t fix them self this issue I don’t know how OP could do it… :confused:

Now that you changed, do you still have some days to use the server ?
It could be interressting to do some tests before and after the reboot.

FOR TROUBLESHOOTING ONLY

Could be interresting to know which server and IPMI fimrware version you have :

Ubuntu 16.04

Your hardware model : sudo dmidecode | grep -A3 '^System Information'

Your IPMI

• sudo apt-get install ipmitool
  • sudo ipmitool mc info

If you see Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory you need to load the ipmi_devintf module with this command :

• sudo modprobe ipmi_devintf and try again sudo ipmitool mc info

When I see this kind of stuff, the issue could be only on Dell servers with the quoted version installed.

Update : Online has iDRAC6 enterprise installed.

Some iDRAC6 support topics : http://www.dell.com/support/search/us/en/04#q=IDRAC6%20reboot&sort=relevancy&f:typeFacet=[KnowledgeBase]&f:langFacet=[en]

1 Like

Scorpus from mondedie.fr seems has found the solution to this issue ! :slight_smile:

The bug comes from Ubuntu when you have the ethernet controller BCM5716 installed. You can look the thead here : https://askubuntu.com/questions/934832/broadcom-netxtreme-ii-bcm5716-ethernet-controller-unclaimed-after-update-to-16-0

To correct this issue you need to do these commands at the end of the QuickBox wizard BEFORE THE REBOOT asked by QuickBox.

• Open a new ssh connection with QuickBox parameters : ssh MasterUser@ipaddress -p 4747
  • sudo su
  • cd /root
  • mkdir bcm
  • cd bcm
  • git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
  • cp -rf /root/bcm/linux-firmware/bnx2/ /lib/firmware
  • reboot

I can’t test this resolution because I don’t have any servers with this issue but Scorpus did it on his server and it’s working now. If someone can test this and give us a feedback it could be nice :slight_smile:
Maybe an easy fix to add to the QB setup bash file @JMSolo ?

3 Likes

hi @darkpeter has you set hostname in your server before installation ?

hope it will fix it .

3 times that i reinstall . And now doest want to reinstall … waiting answer to my ticket support now

Thanks, this seems to have worked for me.
Using a French One Provider server, on Online.net.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.