ruTorrent problems

Hey!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for help with this problem.

When I woke up today and started Plex to watch a movie, it suddenly said: ‘There was an problem playing this item’. I then logged in to QuickBox to see what was going on, and found ruTorrent to be missing. I clicked refresh on it and it came back immediately, but all of my torrents are now gone. Any idea how this happened?

My server is still working perfectly fine and all the movies/shows are still in their folders, I just can’t get access to any of it through Plex.

RTorrent shut itself off, as you can see here: http://screencast.com/t/9whiV4zCJWS
When I hit refresh, it becomes green again, and it even says I still have all my torrents active, even though they are all gone when I open rTorrent: http://screencast.com/t/BIKZQJcb5CY2
After a minute or two it shuts itself off again and turns red.

I get this error inside rTorrent:
“No connection to rTorrent. Check if it is really running. Check $scgi_port and $scgi_host settings in config.php and scgi_port in rTorrent configuration file.”

I hope you can help me out, and thanks in advance!

Have you gone into the Quickbox dashboard and tried to restart the service? There should be a button next to RTorrent called “Refresh”.

Hey sadpanda, thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile: I was in the middle of updating my original post when you replied, and the answer to your question is up there too.

When I hit refresh, it becomes green again, and it even says I still have all my torrents active, even though they are all gone when I open rTorrent: http://screencast.com/t/BIKZQJcb5CY2
After a minute or two it shuts itself off again and turns red.

Are you able to SSH into your server and check the logs?
Run this command and post the error that it provides if any. Replace USERNAME with your rtorrent user
systemctl status [email protected]

Could also be a bad torrent that is causing the issue. If you kill off any rtorrent sessions from the dashboard and within SSH. Then run rtorrent again and connect to the screen session via SSH. rtorrent should provide the error that’s causing it to crash.

When I try to connect via PuTTY, I just get this error immediately:
“Network error: Connection refused”

Ah, Quickbox on install changes the SSH port to 4747. Give this a read also. It will have the info you need plus more about the Quickbox install and what ports you need to know.
Quickbox Readme

Worked with 4747 as the port :slight_smile:

Used the command you posted earlier and got this: http://screencast.com/t/biEUxGh0tuir

EDIT: Now that you mention it, I added a torrent yesterday that refused to continue after 19%, kept stopping on it’s own… I’ve never experienced that before

Try running
killall rtorrent; screen -dmS rTorrent rtorrent and then screen rtorrent after so you connect to that session.
rtorrent should have an error as to why its crashing at the bottom of the screen.

First command just gives me:
rtorrent: no process found

Second command gave me this:
Could not read resource file: ~/.rtorrent.rc

Do you think I should just do a complete reinstall of QuickBox?

If yes, would that delete my torrents from rutorrent & all my downloaded files?

I have the same problem since yesterday.
After seeing a movie on Plex, rTorrent has crashed.

Errors:
No process found.
ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall -w -s 2 /usr/bin/rtorrent (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE).

This problem arrives even with new user created for the occasion.
And i don’t know why but my script to make backups of the server has failed this morning, but he worked fine yesterday’s morning.

Verifications:
"/usr/bin/rtorrent" file is here.
"/home/$user/.sessions/rtorrent.lock" isn’t here for my 6 different users.
no “rutorrent-error.log” file found.
.rtorrent.rc looks fine.

I don’t know what to search now … :frowning:

EDIT : found the solution (it worked for me but i don’t know why).
Type in Terminal :

reboot

At startup torrent isn’t working again. Try to start it with :

systemctl restart rtorrent@$user.service

check if the status is running

systemctl status rtorrent@$user.service

Don’t forget to replace $user by your username.

As i said, now, i don’t understand why a manual starting of rtorrent (and after a reboot !) worked. I tested without reboot before and it don’t worked… Maybe reboot is the key :smiley:

1 Like