Rtorrent couldn't resolve host name


#1

I have been having this issue every time I reboot the server or restart rtorrent. If I rehash all my torrents (over 100+) sometimes it will work sometimes my torrents stay in error status. I’ve verified DNS, the server is able to resolve every single tracker without issue. So it brings me to QB and the compiled version of rtorrent that QB is installing. Is QB installing rtorrent that has libcurl compiled with c-ares? Because this looks to be my problem and I have not found any information on your site that shows what QB is actually doing.


#2

The script simply grabs version available at https://rakshasa.github.io/rtorrent/

DEPENDENCIES

libcurl >= 7.12.0
ncurses


#3

Am I the only one having this issue? There has to be others that are having the same problem with QB rtorrent.


#4

QuickBox is not altering rtorrent. We simply pull it from source


#5

Then what is different or what could be possibly causing this issue?


#6

So I fixed my issue. It was exactly what was described in that link. I built c-ares and installed the latest version (1.12.0), then I rebuilt curl with the latest version(7.54.0) and enabled c-ares support. Instantly rtorrent started working again.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I rebooted and I’m back to the same problem.


#7

What is in your /etc/resolv.conf file?


#8

search your-server.de
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 213.133.98.98
nameserver 213.133.99.99
nameserver 213.133.100.100
nameserver 2a01:4f8:0:a0a1::add:1010
nameserver 2a01:4f8:0:a102::add:9999
nameserver 2a01:4f8:0:a111::add:9898


#9

you should remove all but the 8.8.8.8 and the 8.8.4.4


#10

I agree, but I don’t think that’s the root cause.


#11

Do you have IPv6 enabled? It looks like it from your resolv.conf. Try disabling IPv6(and not just in the resolv.conf).


#12

Yea disabled ipv6, same thing.


#13

can you ping www.google.com if yes then your dns is fine its the tracker that is broked


#14

I can do DNS queries all day long. And yea… I doubt all the private trackers are broke. :smirk:


#15

well if google was down then i would say that it was the server the only other thing is check you host file.
/etc/hosts


#16

Only entries in my hosts file is my IPv4 IP, local host and all the ‘Blocked Public Tracker’ info that QB adds.


#17

remove the blocks and see if your things work then.


#18

Nope same issue.

I’m still convinced this is a curl or libcurl problem.


#19

so I apt-get remove curl libcurl4-openssl and reinstalled and it’s working again. I’m afraid to reboot.


#20

It’s possible your libcurl dependencies had corrupted somehow, although, this is no fault of QuickBox as this issue isn’t being raised elsewhere. I have known a couple of server installs that I have helped with in the past where a few dependencies were corrupted (usually through interrupted apt update and/or apt upgrade). Those however, caused completely different issues wherein it affected pulling the updates via git for QuickBox. I would say you can reboot, although, in most server instances there shouldn’t be need to reboot as it rarely fixes a problem in linux… and when it does… it’s a fluke.