QuickBox updating - versions previous to the new v2.3.0

Well, it’s about time there is a release for updating QuickBox. This update command has been tested thoroughly on all supported releases of Debian & Ubuntu running versions back to 2.1.0 and is passing. Feel free to update old versions with confidence… this update additionally will not produce downtime on your servers or cause issues with any running processes.

Here is the info on how to update as well as some additional info.

Download and run the update

git clone https://github.com/QuickBox/quickbox_packages quickbox_packages
cd quickbox_packages/system
bash updateQuickBox

This will fully update your sudoers files, your master database files (that is new, yes), relocate your command code strucutre for QuickBox v2.3.0 as well as add in the rolling update features that are so welcomed here and on into the future.

More Info

Here is a quick bit of info on how updating works once you are on v.2.3.0 – and it couldn’t be easier. I will have a more thorough Wiki on this later as well as proper ways to contribute to the code from here on out.

If you would like to test new commits not yet placed within the master branch, you can do so by navigating to the repo you’d like to test and typing git checkout development. This will switch your pulls from branch to branch and thus track the changes from that particular repo. The output will be similar to that of below…

[root@quickbox]:(0b)~/quickbox_packages# git checkout development
Branch development set up to track remote branch development from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'development'

Once you have successfully switched branches, you can now run git pull to pull all known commits within the branch of a particular QuickBox repo. Again, these repos are located at /root/quickbox_[repo-here]. Running git pull on the branch will show similar to that of below (if any additions have been made prior to your initial pull).

[root@quickbox]:(0b)~/quickbox_packages# git pull
remote: Counting objects: 4, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
remote: Total 4 (delta 3), reused 1 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (4/4), done.
From https://github.com/QuickBox/quickbox_packages
   01009fe..0e7efe2  development -> origin/development
Updating 01009fe..0e7efe2
Fast-forward
 system/updateQuickBox | 93 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
 1 file changed, 77 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)
[root@quickbox]:(0b)~/quickbox_packages#

You can switch back to the master branch (stable) at any time by navigating back to your desired repo and typing in git checkout master followed by git pull

Be on the lookout for a thorough Wiki post here in the next few days that addresses in full detail the updating process as well as proper ways of contributing to the code, i.e; templates.

####Also, the QuickBox donation page is live!
If you have the means or the want to do so and would like to contribute to QuickBox without too much hassle, consider dropping a donation our way.

Any contribution, be it large or small are appreciated tremendously as hours and days of work are constantly and continue to be poured into QuickBox and it’s forward advancements (with a whole lot more to come! :wink:)

So… wanna show us some love?

3 Likes

Great job love it will be putting to test soon as server is not being used by user lol

1 Like

It should be able to just be installed right on top and run the update. In the tests I did, it didn’t have any adverse affects on the running processes of Plex, ruTorrent, iRSSi or BTSync as it doesn’t touch process. :slight_smile:

0_0 i like the sound of that :smiley: but i rather it work without user winning lol so i will give them 30 min and log them off lol

ok they are off now to start :smiley: crossing fingers
step one already confused me for a second lol but i picked 2

No… you are on version under 2.3 == 1

I will work out a way to improve that wording. (I thought that was clear)

0_x that explains the fail

picked the right one and worked with no hiccups great job @JMSolo

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to say it’s as simple as just re-running and selecting the proper prompt… I think I will change to verbiage on that first question to “less than v2.3” and “greater than v2.3”

Just wondering.

If you can select “Less than v2.3” or “Greater than v2.3” how do you update version 2.3?

“Greater than v2.3” will accompany all installs running v2.3 and up. So if you have v2.3 you can select that option. Whereas “Less than v2.3” is for anyone running versions under v2.3. (I know, the verbiage is a bit confusing)

There will be a more thorough Wiki post in the next few days that expresses how anyone on versions 2.3 and up can update on a per commit level rather than running an entire system update.

For example:

Say the Dashboard receives an update to include Sonarr. You would only have to do something like the following:

cd /srv/rutorrent/home
git pull

cd /usrl/local/bin/quickbox
git reset --hard origin/master
git pull
chmod +x $(find /usr/local/bin/quickbox -type f)

This is just a rough example, but that is all a user on versions 2.3 and up would have to do for the update.

sd-30641:~# git clone https://github.com/QuickBox/quickbox_packages quickbox_packages
Cloning into ‘quickbox_packages’…
Username for ‘https://github.com’: coaster
bash [email protected]’: es/system
remote: Invalid username or password.
fatal: Authentication failed for ‘https://github.com/QuickBox/quickbox_packages/