QuickBox Beginner Questions

Good afternoon wonderful people!
I come to you searching for help, and maybe a little pity.

I am brand new to the world of QuickBox, seedboxes, VPS, SSH, Debian, etc. A noob, if you will. I am not, however, completely without technical experience, it has just been a long time, and was Windows based. (read: hardware, Windows server 2003, active directory, FTP etc.)

I have a VPS with Debian 8 installed. I have also run and installed QuickBox onto the VPS. I am running the Bitvise SSH/SFTP, and have even successfully connected to the server.
This is where I am stuck. I connect to the QuickBox dashboard, via my listed IP, am prompted for my user name/pw then receive a mix of 404 and 500 errors. I am at a loss of what to do next. I am thinking there are more setup processes to go through that are lost on me, or maybe something else.

So, I need some help! I am happy to purchase the setup service from an expert, or any other service provided here. I just want to know that what I purchase will allow me to fulfill my goals of learning this system and getting this thing working.

If someone could point me in the right direction, offer advice, anything I would be most appreciative! I am determined to see this through.

Cheers,
Cube

1 Like

Hey there @cube ! More than likely your VPS is OpenVZ provisioned. What happens with these provisioned VMs is that the network adapter does not get submitted to the file located at /srv/rutorrent/home/db/interface.txt

Do this for me real quick and we’ll see if this is the case… if so, the fix is simple and I will walk you through it.

cat /srv/rutorrent/home/db/interface.txt

If you get nothing back as a result then you can type ifstat. The command ifstat will show you the output of your active network interface. It will show something to this effect.

# ifstat
       eth0
 KB/s in  KB/s out
    4.52     26.27
    3.28     42.69
    4.32     59.45
    3.97     60.18
    4.90     72.59
    6.01    108.58

Now just do Ctrl + C to exit.

What you need to do next is to place that adapter eth0 (this will be different from provider to provider) into the interface.txt file that the dashboard needs. This can be achieved by doing the following:

printf "<youradapter>" > /srv/rutorrent/home/db/interface.txt

Again, be sure to change accordingly.

Now, run the QuickBox updater to replenish the files that have gone blank due to the bad sed on install. Simply type updateQuickBox to have the update run. Wait till it finishes and then attempt to browse back to your dashboard. Hopefully, all should be working now.

If there are still issues, just let us know.

That completely worked and I am learning tons. Thanks! Now to dive in and learn more.
What would be the advantages to having a paid service performed at this point? Like I said, I am entirely open to purchasing a tweaking or other service that would enhance this already outstanding software.

The paid-for installation service is geared towards users who want fail-safe installations. Basically, some people have servers with base images setup and need us to install an OS, ensure they are using the correct mount points, and complete the installation and then verify all widgets and service are operating as they should. A big one is with kernels being compiled with grsec and we then login and update them accordingly.

Tuning is done by our Resident Linux Sorceress @liara, she would have the skinny on that. I am not entirely certain if she will tune an OpenVZ VM as it’s kernel is host node controlled. She’ll chime in on this I am certain once time permits.

Also, huge thanks to your compliments on QuickBox! :blush:

Well I would certainly take the service, if it was offered.

In the meantime, I have begun using rutorrent without fail.
BUT
When I clicked on the dashboard Install button for Plex, the dashboard reloaded, and became a 500 server error.
I been tinkering without any result. I installed Plex through the console with

wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.0.2.2413-7caf41d/plexmediaserver_1.0.2.2413-7caf41d_amd64.deb
mkdir -p plex-tmp
mv plexmediaserver_.deb plex-tmp/plexmediaserver_.deb
cd plex-tmp
dpkg -i plexmediaserver_*.deb

So, now “systemctl status plexmediaserver” shows

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-08-03 23:45:19 EEST; 19s ago

Any idea on why the QB dashboard still will not load?
Also, the http://ip:31400/web/ errors out as well.

Could you send me your server details in a PM? I will look into this… It sounds as if you could take advantage of the Guru Install service after all :wink:

1 Like