[Poll] Are you using or going to be using Ubuntu 16.04?

Curious as to how many people will be upgrading their current releases to Ubuntu 16.04. As 16.04 (xenial) is the next LTS release from Ubuntu - supported until 2021 - They will be providing minimal (if any) support to their 14.04. Additional to this both 15.04 and 15.10 were only meant as intermediary releases in preparation for 16.04 as well as an introduction to Ubuntu now using systemd rather than upstart… which in turn, does open a number of doors that could enhance the QuickBox script in the near future. It also aids in moving the entire script on one Distro (Ubuntu) rather than supporting both Debian and Ubuntu.

If you’re staying put on Debian releases, let us know in the comments as this poll is to gather feedback on migrating and/or installing from fresh Ubuntu 16.04.

Remember, that with the update to 16.04, the script now uses php 7! I will post benchmarks when the time permits, however, I have noticed a marketed improvement in system and GUI response times using php 7.0.

So, let us know your thoughts.

Are you going to use Ubuntu 16.04?

• Yes
  • No
  • I’m already using it
  • Other Let us know in the comments

0 voters

i would like to use php7 as it already impressed me…

I’d like to, just hope my seedbox company will install it on my dedicated server :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, if only most seedbox providers trusted themselves. It’s a fairly simple process and could potentially only cause around a 10 minute outage… assuming nobody is asleep at the wheel.

apt-get install -y language-pack-en-base
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php

apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade

apt-get update && apt-get purge php.* && apt-get --purge autoremove && apt-get install php7.0 php7.0-fpm \
php7.0-mbstring php7.0-zip php7.0-mysql php7.0-curl php7.0-gd php7.0-json php7.0-mcrypt php7.0-opcache \
php7.0-xml php7.0-bcmath php7.0-zip libapache2-mod-php7.0

Just like that… I just converted your server to PHP 7.0 from the ever increasingly archaic php 5.~ series. Granted providers have multiple servers to combat with upgrades… a simple shell script could roll those out on an API from a private repo. All servers done in a matter of 10 minutes… some users may notice a very brief hiccup in service. Although, this assumes that they are using tastefully written scripts.

2 Likes

Poll closed as the QuickBox script is now fully compatible with Ubuntu 16.04, PHP7 as well as Memcache.

1 Like