Plex not working after upgrade

No - no errors at all…

Can you confirm that your /var/lib/plexmediaserver directory is owned by plex?

Going to interject here a minute. Did something change with the FTP server? Mine is timing out since the upgrade. And it broke Sickrage Oy Vey:scream:

@zorak2, nothing in QuickBox makes adjustments to FTP/SFTP. Please open a new topic in regards to your FTP issues - in most instances, the problem could be between your server and your ISP.

We are currently working on troubleshooting Plex issues at the moment.

Will do, thanks again for your help

@Globber, you’re on Ubuntu right?

I am noticing this Plex issue cropping up on Debian installs but haven’t encountered it on any Ubuntu yet.

Just wanted to say real quick if you need a server to test on let me know and I can set you up a VM

1 Like

nopes Debian!

Ah, @Grayman is currently experiencing an issue like this where the server is simply not found. Debian as well. I have a Debian machine fired up at the moment, however, I cannot duplicate this issue. On his it’s status shows as running. Just no servers to be found… very odd this Plex this update.

You still have my pm with the credentials for my box so if you want to sneak in at have a looksee I won´t stop ya :slight_smile:

Alright, challenge accepted. Let me finish up one more quick thing and I will have a peek. I will do some comparisons. Not sure if a recent linux update foo-bared or what.

I have this issue in ubuntu 16.04 (Kimsufi). It was working fine, then I recently did an apt-get update/upgrade (one of the things on that list MIGHT have been plex) but now a reinstall of it will not start properly.

Is there some log that gives more detailed info as to WHY it won’t start with systemctl? I thought about going back to a x.9xx version, but not just yet.

@kysersoze79, this is honestly your best bet. Since Plex is installed via ppa, I can most definitely say that it was in the upgrade list. You do not have to go back to a previous version as setting up a tunnel still works.

More info on our posts here:

I had to create /var/lib/plexmediaserver folder. Then change the owner from root to plex:plex, and I also chmod 2775 plexmediaserver, then it started (the 0.9xxx version as listed in the other thread).

mkdir /var/lib/plexmediaserver
cd /var/lib
chown -R plex:plex plexmediaserver/
chmod 2775 plexmediaserver/
systemctl start plexmediaserver

Click the link from QB home page (to port 31400, log in and setup, looks good)

This was my error in journalctl -xe:

/bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/lib/plexmediaserver’: Permission denied

Yeah, that is one of the issues coming directly from the official plex ppa. It is not assigning proper permissions and I too had noticed how it was assigning root to the directory. Hopefully they fix this soon so we can all upgradePlex

I had the exact same problem and this worked for me.
open the service file:

/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service

change user and group to root:

user=root
group=root

close the file and start plex:

service plexmediaserver start

I cannot recommend running services as root. If plexmediaserver is failing to start as the user plex, ensure the folder /var/lib/plexmediaserver is owned by plex:plex

chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver