Plex - Do you like the new User Interface?

Originally published at: https://quickbox.io/blog/plex-do-you-like-the-new-user-interface/

The new Plex Dashboard. It’s been in beta for a while, and I most certainly have some feelings about it, as I’m sure a lot of you do too. There are some good things, and some bad things but today I just wanted to tell you about my experience with it, setting it up, and why I like some of it, but not all of it.

First of all, I really liked the recently added areas for both Movies and TV Shows as well as the “On Deck” section for both libraries. However, in this new UI update, they’ve taken it out by default leaving you having to add it back in yourself.

In addition, having the “pinned” sections is all good and all, but it doesn’t have any defaults. So when I first opened up Plex after the update, I thought I had lost all of my content. It wasn’t until I went into the more option I could see my servers, and then add content.

I also like the new sections around “Top Rated TV” or “More from Netflix” which is a great addition too. I like having this as there have been times where I’ve been looking for a new TV show and I didn’t know what to watch. I think this could help with that.

I think there should be more options in terms of managing the different sections. Being able to hide the ones you don’t want and the ones that you do. For me personally, I don’t need a section that says “Recently Aired TV” but other people might. I would like to hide that from my own dashboard.

I think this is a good first step to modernise the platform and make it compete better with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. but right now, I don’t think Plex has got enough feature-rich functionality behind it to make Netflix or Amazon Prime worried. I think we’re getting there slowly, but not quite yet. I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

What do you think? Is this change going to make you want to use Emby now? Or are you using Emby and this is making you want to switch to Plex? Let me know what you think!