Just installed QuickBox on Debian, Plex does not work

Hi, i’ve just installed QuickBox, everything works fine, except for the Plex Media Server.
I’m running Debian 8 on a SYS dedicated server (yes, i’m using the distro’s default Kernel).

Version 1.2.7.2987 of PMS is not working…

● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Wed 2016-11-30 07:50:33 EST; 12s ago
Process: 4455 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d “${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}” || /bin/mkdir -p “${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}” (code=exited, status=217/USER)
Main PID: 346 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Nov 30 07:50:28 box..net systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
Nov 30 07:50:28 box.
.net systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
Nov 30 07:50:33 box..net systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Nov 30 07:50:33 box.
.net systemd[1]: Stopping Plex Media Server for Linux…
Nov 30 07:50:33 box..net systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux…
.net systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Nov 30 07:50:33 box..net systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
.net systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

I’ve tried installing 1.0.2.2413 manually, and it worked! But it wasn’t added to the QuickBox Dashboard Main Menu…

try running Ubuntu 16.04

Crap, i already have 600gb of files downloaded on this box :frowning:

Add some problems to install it, i try many way but i don’t remember wich one was working,
uninstall it from dashboard, and then in cli try a “box install plexmediaserver” then "upgradePlex"
maybe it’ll work :confused:
at least with cli you’ll what wrong during installation

Yeah, i’ve tried all that, no luck :confused:
Well, i’m making a backup so i can format and install Ubuntu on my server. Let’s see if that works.

(I honestly thought Debian 8 was better than Ubuntu 16.04 for QuickBox usage)

Check and make sure the directory /var/lib/plexmediaserver and subdirectories are owned by the user/group plex

box:/# ls -la /var/lib/plexmediaserver
total 12K
drwxr-xr-x  3 plex plex 4.0K Nov 30 08:40 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 plex plex 4.0K Nov 30 08:40 Library

They are

hmm to me it looks like it tries to create a folder based on the info provided by your ${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR} value…is that folder even created? And owned by plex?

Cannot remember the path for it but something like /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support

Manually crate that folder and then run upgradePlex again might just do the trick!

Well, i just reinstalled my server with Ubuntu 16.04. Everything works now!

Glad to hear :smiley:

Since the “install ubuntu 16.04” solution did not suffice me, i’ve search the web for a Debian 8 fix.

I’ve found this: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1205396/#Comment_1205396

Apparently, the error some people are getting is related to SELinux, but the tutorial above fixes that.

Hope i can help someone!