Installation on Waveride VPS

Hey guys,
Love the look of this script, it’s miles ahead of anything else I’ve had a play around with. I’ve installed and reinstalled so many times now on Ubuntu 15.1 & 16.04 and Debian 8 - and can always get rutorrent and the shell console to work, but browsing to the server IP address where the dashboard should be never works :confused: I don;t know what I’m doing wrong - I understand that openvz isn’t supported, but I’m persisting to try to get it working and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so keen to see the sleek dashboard!! All I get when I browse to where the dashboard should be is an empty page, if I try anything else like (IP)/user.downloads it gives me a Internal Error 500.
Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there @k1w1! More than likely your VPS is OpenVZ provisioned. What happens with these provisioned VMs is that the network adapter does not get submitted to the file located at /srv/rutorrent/home/db/interface.txt

Do this for me real quick and we’ll see if this is the case… if so, the fix is simple and I will walk you through it.

cat /srv/rutorrent/home/db/interface.txt

If you get nothing back as a result then you can type ifstat. The command ifstat will show you the output of your active network interface. It will show something to this effect.

# ifstat
       eth0
 KB/s in  KB/s out
    4.52     26.27
    3.28     42.69
    4.32     59.45
    3.97     60.18
    4.90     72.59
    6.01    108.58

Now just do Ctrl + C to exit.

What you need to do next is to place that adapter eth0 (this will be different from provider to provider) into the interface.txt file that the dashboard needs. This can be achieved by doing the following:

printf "<youradapter>" > /srv/rutorrent/home/db/interface.txt

Again, be sure to change accordingly.

Now, run the QuickBox updater to replenish the files that have gone blank due to the bad sed on install. Simply type updateQuickBox to have the update run. Wait till it finishes and then attempt to browse back to your dashboard. Hopefully, all should be working now.

If there are still issues, just let us know.

Mate. You are truly amazing!! Had it up and running within 2 minutes of reading your reply. I have so much respect for people like you who can diagnose a problem and provide a working solution in such detail, in such a short amount of time, to someone on the other side of the world. Am in the process of making a donation now, I can’t afford much but hopefully it’s enough to buy you a beer. Thanks!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @k1w1 and the contribution… every little bit helps :blush:

Also, the wonderful @liara has come up with a solution that we will include in the next release due by the end of this weekend. This way anyone on OpenVZ can install and enjoy without the hassle. Thank you for your reporting of this and again… your kind sentiments… very much appreciated!