Recently I’ve had to backup the apps and content on my current server and move it to another. So I thought I’d share the knowledge I gained during the move.
Here is a list of files and locations that you can use for backups and that you can use to restore:
- I recommend something like sudo /bin/tar -cvf /local/of/backup/plexbackup_‘date +%Y%m%d’.tar.gz /var/lib/plexmediaserver/
- Make sure to follow all the steps in the Plex Support tutorial when moving plex to another server: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System
- Backing up the .sessions folder allows you to restore all your torrents. I’m not sure where the entire config for rtorrent is stored but it takes me about 5 minutes to configure rtorrent on a new install, so not a big deal for me. Maybe someone can advise on this.
- Sickrage also has a built in backup function which basically makes a backup .zip file of the above folders. Settings => Backup/Restore.
crontab -l > cron-backup.txt
/var/spool/cron/is the location for crons for all users.
- I store all my scripts for crons and such in one folder, so I just backup that folder.
I’m busy writing a script to store all this in a backup folder. That folder will then be uploaded to the cloud.
NOTE: It is assumed that you use the QB script and it helps if you use the same folder structure on the new server that you had on the old one.