How To - Deluge Multiple Instances

####Forked from:
Separate instance of deluge

found an easier way (for me) to achieve multiple deluge instances

Deluge is hands down a beast with initial swarms and with itconfig can outperform rtorrent when it comes to permaseeding. HOWEVER even though deluge can handle around 3000 torrents. rtorrnt can easily handle 11k (in my last NAS). For Deluge it’s safer to keep it under 1000 torrents (per instance) with this in mind I decided to have multiple instances of deluge capping each instance to 750 torrents.

Let’s get started

took me a while to get it sorted out. hopefully what I explain will make more sense than the Deluge wiki.

This is tested and ran on Ubuntu 16.04.1 server

clean install deluged on Ubuntu, following the directions to install deluge here

The steps to run multiple deluged, thus being able to attach to multiple daemons (one at a time) from a single thinclient are covered here

however what I’m going to explain is a more indepth with some explanations

start a deluge daemon by typing

$deluged NOTE that the dollar sign $ is meant to be a command to typed in the commandline /bash/shell. (do not type the dollar sign)

now kill the deluged process you just started, the purpose is to create a generic config for deluged

$killall deluged

open your preferred text editor, to edit the following files.

~/.config/deluge/auth
~/.config/deluge/core.conf

in the auth file you’re going to ADD userName:passw0rd:10 to the second line. replacing userName with your username, passw0rd with your own unique password and 10 makes you an admin, currently not implemented but will allow you do be admin in a future version.

by editing the auth file, this allows you to connect to the daemon from another computer, not just on your LAN but from anywhere in the world. provided you know your servers ip and configure portforwarding correctly (you’ll have to figure these out on your own) I suggest whatsmyip and portforward

now you’re going to edit $~/.config/deluge/core.conf
change line 16 or 19 (I do not recall offhand) allow remote from false to true

at this point I recommend running $deluged then opening up deluge GUI and connect with connection manager

you might have to go to preferences> Interface and untick classic mode. Reopen deluge, connect to your daemon via Connection Manager. install/enable plugins you intend to use. This will save you from having to do this for each instance, only having to edit the download/watch/move-complete locations

once you have the first instance configured the way you want, run $killall deluged

make sure you’re in our home directory

$cd
$cp -a ~/.config/deluge ~/.config/deluge1
this will of course copy all the contents of ~/.config/deluge into a new folder deluge1 into your ~/.config folder. personally I have 17 total deluges using hexadecimal character to differentiate all my instances from deluge, deluge1, … deluge0 …delugeA … delugeF.

choose one of the following methods to set your port for each instance.

1. I took a further step and edited each ~/.config/core.conf changing the daemon port by 1 for each deluge1,2,3… folder.
    OR
  2. You can specify the port you want to use each time you start a daemon with $deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT# replacing ? with a character for the deluge config you want to use and change PORT# to a port number to connect to.

now you can make as many instances as you want startup on reboot in crontab with

$crontab -e and adding the following

$@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? $@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? $@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? again replacing [pre]?[/pre] with the letter/number you want to use. [color=#FF00BF]HOWEVER this method will only work[/color] if you changed each port number in [pre]core.conf[/pre]

OTHERWISE use

$@reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT1 @reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT2 @reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT3 @reboot /usr/bin/deluged -c ~/.config/deluge? -p PORT4 changing the deluge ? to a character and PORT# to an actual port number.

hope this helps. if you have any questions I’ll do my best to help clear any confusion.

1 Like