High Load - HDD? - Hetzner

Hello,

I’m currently on a hetzner server (32GB Ram, 2 x 2TB Enterprise HDD, Intel Xeon E3-1246V3) and I have to admit the load stays pretty high.

Currently running Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Resilio and BTsync. The main culprit is rtorrent. I download files pretty fast but the the load starts climbing to 12-15. Is this normal or should I ask for new HDD? After the download is completed the load drops to 1.5 - 2.00 (which I still find pretty high because no one is watching or doing stuff).

Tips?Feedback?

Thank you!

Soul

1 good hdd even a crap one can take at least 50MB download to it so anything less than that i would see how many random writes its doing if that’s the reason, also check if drives are same one. my 3x1tb can max out my 1gbit connection when it comes to download, so can a 2x1 but the more random writes is where it kills the drives speed as hdds are not good with them. we combat this with ram caching as ram is really the fastest storage we have.

try downloading a few large torrents 10+gb and then use iotop

get something like this that will tell you what all is going on.
you can also test your drives read and writes by doing few tests sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/(drive) find the drives name by going to fdisk -l and should be there

2 Likes