Hetzner - Double Paid Traffic

Hello again,

Have any of you used this?
https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Double_Paid_Traffic/en

I’m wondering if an extra €4.20 per month would be worth a bump in performance (currently get about 30-40 mb/s (mega bit per second). With online I could max my home connection at 200mb/s

It’s still plenty for plex, I’m just a speed freak :slight_smile:
Any thoughts?

If you only get 30-40 MB/s on a 1Gbit line something is not right.
I easily max out my connection

Really? I thought maybe it was just peering from UK to Hetzner,

Speedtest-cli is showing:

Hosted by TempleServers (Nuremberg) [1.11 km]: 4.703 ms
Testing download speed…
Download: 924.74 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed…
Upload: 639.12 Mbit/s

Anything you’d recommend trying?

Disk I/O ?

Ubuntu-1604-xenial-64-minimal:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 5.12817 s, 209 MB/s
Ubuntu-1604-xenial-64-minimal:~#

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 149 MB/s
I/O (2nd run) : 159 MB/s
I/O (3rd run) : 159 MB/s
Average I/O : 155.667 MB/s

IO seems ok. I should also point out when I transfer between other Hetzner servers, or between Scaleway the connection is maxed out.

It only drops when going to the UK, hence my question about peering :slight_smile:

What kind of traffic are you routing to UK? regular ftp or torrent download?

http, If i open up multiple transfers in Filezilla I can push it to close to max :slight_smile:

Hi Valkyre, Could you please explain me what exactly this service for ? What you will gain from this service.

read the link
the larger providers want to get paid twice (the home customer and the service providers), especially DTAG (“german Telekom”) - so against net neutrality

you’ll buy a direct uplink to DTAG with this option, i don’t know if there are other providers in the option, the link only states DTAG as the culprit (which is huge deal for a german hoster)
whithout they route through several other carriers, but it gets bottlenecked in the peak hours

i doubt it will do a thing to a UK connection

They won’t even let you buy this unless your a german telecom customer

im looking into it now lol

Did you have any success with this? i’m in the UK and experiencing occasional peering issues and interested if this would help or not.

I never took advantage of it in the end. The box is fine for 30GB blu-rays but 4K requires a local solution unfortunately

It wont help outside connections to a specific ISP.