Giving access to all folders to User created during setup

Hi all,

I’ve just installed Quickbox for the first time - such a great UI!

I installed on a server I’ve just rented, and it’s running Ubuntu Server 16.04. During the setup it asked for a Master Account, and I provided a name.

in RuTorrent I can’t select folders outside of /home/username - how can I changed this please? I ask as i have two disks on the server, and I want to be able to download stuff to both drives. I assume I’ll probably encounter this with plex and other apps too.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I’m not the most experienced linux user.

Thanks for any help

As long as your disk is in RAID0 or even RAID1 it will utilize both of your drives for space. There is no need to store data outside of your specific users directory.

If you are a sudo user you can login into SFTP on port 4747 in your preferred FTP client. This will give you access to all directories outside of your /home directory.

Thanks for the response.

My second disk wasn’t utilised in any way when I got the server, so I created a partition and formatted to ext4. I then created a mount point - /media/disktwo - and then set this to auto mount on boot.

Will this still utilise the space in the second disk? Even though it’s a separate drive and I can’t select it as a usable folder due to permissions?

If you didn’t set it up as RAID and it was unpartitioned after you received your server, the second drive is likely a different drive entirely and therefore not associated with your first drive at all (Neither RAID nor LVM). You will have to store items on that drive specifically in that case.

You may look into the ruTorrent settings for filemanager – there should be an option in the preferences to change the top level directory for filemanager.

which hosting company did you go with? before using it and downloading a bunch i would redo the install and set up as raid 0 so that you can utilize both drives. this allows both drives to work as one there is no redundancy but this way it will increase R/W speeds, i hope this is useful. most companies by default will do raid 1 or no raid.

Thanks, It’s from So You Start. During installation I checked ‘install operating system on one disk’ or something to that effect, but I didn’t see further options regarding raid.

I believe servers from So You Start default to RAID 1 on installation. What is the output of ‘df -h’ ?

1 Like

Yeah, it showed RAID 1, then I unchecked it as an option.

I’ve now set the server up and have media on both drives so not too keen on starting over. I just saw your initial comment about changing the top level directory, but it didn’t appear to be an option.

I think it’s probably a user permissions issue - an example being, using the root account to mkdir means the account I created during installation can’t see it, so I have to create it using the other account.

soyoustart gives you 100gb free backup maybe back up what you have then redo lol i know redoing a install in not ideal but it’s what most of us would to to make it work correctly without it you’ll end up with hard drive being overloaded a lot

how much data do you have? if needed i can provide a backup site not free but i can do so.

yes they do but they do make it easy to change thank god lol.

Thanks for all the responses guys, it’s appreciated.

I think I’ll leave it for now, and maybe revisit if it becomes too tedious to keep moving stuff across to the second drive.

1 Like

Why not mount the 2nd disk on the first disk?

1. make a directory where you want the mount…ala /home/user/torrents/my_2ndDisk_mount_point
  2. cat /etc/fstab and look at see where the 2nd disk is currently mounted
  3. back up /etc/fstab (cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak)
  4. unmount the current mount of the disk (umount )
  5. edit /etc/fstab and change the mount point to the new mount point in step 1.
  1. mount it up (mount -a)
  2. chown/chmod the new mount point to your user specified in step 1.

The only issue with this is that the quota system will be off. It wont count the 2nd disk as its really a totally separate filesystem just mounted under the normal one. Maybe @JMSolo and @liara have a solution for that. I dont normally setup quota systems.