Fresh Install on OVH Ubuntu 16.04

Hello,

I’m trying to run the script, I get to the host name selection and allowing public trackers, it then starts installing the dependencies and after about 30 minutes my putty session times out and then I can no longer connect to the machine unless I do a new fresh install.

Please enter a hostname for this server (Hit enter to make no changes):
    No hostname supplied, no changes made!!
    Block Public Trackers?: (Default: Y)n
    Allowing ...
    Installing building tools and all dependencies and perl modules, please wait ...

Even rebooting doesn’t let me back in so I can’t look at the logfile.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

@orophix, try booting into recovery mode?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

Additionally, this sounds like a lock was placed on the dpkg process. You could attempt to run apt -y update and it may reveal which dependencies are locking the process.

I may have to get an OVH box somewhere along the line to see if it’s potential kernel issues.

If you’re stuck in the script, do a ctrl + z to close out the install session. Then tell me, what are the results of uname -a?

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t see a way to boot it in recovery mode on OVH.

uname -a :

Yeah, OVH’s famous custom kernel… not only is it theirs, it’s out-dated. Before I recommend swapping kernel (which isn’t too hard actually :wink: ) What is the output of apt -y upgrade?

I am very curious to know why a simple install of dependencies would lock up.

Here is an outline of some potential issues… they shouldn’t be initially, however, I need a more hands on approach to an OVH box to really test this out.

• procps could be suspect.
  • The group ```input’`` already exists as a system group. This could be an issue from attempting to write upgrades in regards to systemd.

I am going to dig into this one once I have more info.

why don’t you try these… ( like mine… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Install “screen”, if not install by default.
apt-get -y install screen

Before you start the installation (before you run “bash quickbox.sh”, launch screen first.
screen -S quickbox

And then, just in case your putty disconnected, you can recover back the installation screen by typing this:
screen -r quickbox

Voila!

1 Like

apt -y upgrade output:

0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

When I type cat /etc/group one of the results is:

input:x:107:

I’ve deleted the group and I’m trying again, this time using screen even though I don’t think putty is timing out but rather something is conflicting during the install since I can’t get back in once I’ve been kicked out.

If this doesn’t work I’ll try an older version of Ubuntu as a test as well.

The port changes to 4747

1 Like

Yup I’ve read the documentation. It doesn’t let me back in on 4747 either unfortunately. If I go to the ip address via url I get the ubuntu welcome page so httpd is still running.

I’m a bit tired so I’ll just retry one last time and just leave it running overnight and see what happens.

I wouldn’t know what else to say. If it is a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 it shouldn’t run into any sort of dependencies lock.

Before you go through all that trouble of the entirety of the script. Could you try to run from a fresh install the following:

apt install -y build-essential fail2ban bc sudo screen zip irssi unzip nano bwm-ng htop iotop git dos2unix subversion \
  dstat automake make mktorrent libtool libcppunit-dev libssl-dev pkg-config libxml2-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev libsigc++-2.0-dev \
  apache2-utils autoconf cron curl libapache2-mod-geoip libxslt-dev libncurses5-dev yasm pcregrep apache2 php-net-socket libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl \
  php7.0 php7.0-fpm php7.0-mbstring php7.0-zip php7.0-mysql php7.0-curl php7.0-gd php7.0-json php7.0-mcrypt php7.0-opcache php7.0-xml \
  php7.0-bcmath php7.0-zip fontconfig quota comerr-dev ca-certificates libfontconfig1-dev libfontconfig1 rar unrar mediainfo ifstat libapache2-mod-php7.0 \
  ttf-mscorefonts-installer checkinstall dtach cfv libarchive-zip-perl libnet-ssleay-perl openjdk-8-jre-headless openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jdk \
  libhtml-parser-perl libxml-libxml-perl libjson-perl libjson-xs-perl libxml-libxslt-perl libapache2-mod-scgi lshell vnstat vnstati openvpn

This way we can at least see if it returns an error dpkg-ing one of the dependents in the list. If we can sort out what the particular error may be (as I would assume it happens here) then we can nail this down and move from there.

1 Like

I have followed your steps and successfully installed this how ever the disk quota widget is broken

Could you please open a new topic on this?