Fresh install on Debian - No Disk Status and Can No longer use SSH

I think it’s the fact that I’m quite frankly rubbish at linux :stuck_out_tongue: I didn’t quite understand the difference between installing on /home or /(root). Self sabotage is the most likely option!

Here’s /etc/fstab:

[root@JJBSYS]:(924.3kb)~# cat /etc/fstab
# <file system>	<mount point>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
/dev/sda2	/	ext4	usrquota,usrquota,errors=remount-ro,relatime	01
/dev/sda3	/home	ext4	defaults,relatime	1	2
/dev/sda4	swap	swap	defaults	0	0
proc		/proc	proc	defaults		0	0
sysfs		/sys	sysfs	defaults		0	0
devtmpfs	/dev	devtmpfs	rw	0	0
[root@JJBSYS]:(924.3kb)~#

No worries. I have had a few people tell me my way of phrasing questions is rather poor and confusing… this is something I need to work on. I literally paint with crayons in that department.

Ok, so… change this:

/dev/sda2	/	ext4	usrquota,errors=remount-ro,relatime	01
/dev/sda3	/home	ext4	defaults,relatime	1	2

to this:

/dev/sda2	/	ext4	defaults,relatime	01
/dev/sda3	/home	ext4	usrquota,errors=remount-ro,relatime	1	2

Then do the following as we now need to rebuild quotas for use on the proper mount point:

quotaoff -a
service quota stop
mount -o remount /home
quotacheck -auMF vfsv1
quotaon -uv /home
service quota start

You will now need to navigate to your dashboard directory to pull the files the script removed thinking this was a /(root) mount install. So do this:

cd /srv/rutorrent/home
git config --global user.email "root@localhost"
git config --global user.name "quickbox"
git reset --hard origin/master
git pull
cd widgets
rm disk_data.php && mv disk_datah.php disk_data.php

Let's see if that solves it... then run the **``setdisk``** command to set your user quota.

Your questions were perfectly clear - I’m just simply a novice linux user but I’m getting there - and diagnostics like this only help me understand what I’m doing more!

I performed the commands as you specified and pleased to say the disk monitor now correctly reads :slight_smile: ! The status of Rtorrent is still showing as disabled (despite Rutorrent working perfectly fine it seems).

Alright, looks like we’re getting there!

What is the output of ps aux|grep rtorrent

Here we go:

P.S. The user interface is brilliant :slight_smile:

[root@JJBSYS]:(924.3kb)~# ps aux|grep rtorrent
    kingblah  1692  0.0  0.0  29312  1276 ?        Ss   22:10   0:00 SCREEN -fa -dmS rtorrent rtorrent
    kingblah  1693  0.0  0.0 278940  8776 pts/1    Ssl+ 22:10   0:00 rtorrent
    root      9373  0.0  0.0  16356   988 pts/2    S+   22:18   0:00 grep --color=auto rtorrent
    [root@JJBSYS]:(924.3kb)~#

Why thank you! Putting my day job to good use other than making money :smile:

Ok… type pkill -f rtorrent, then wait about 45 seconds and refresh to see if the badges update as ‘enabled

1 Like

i will recommend changing it from raid 1 it will slow things down in long run for downloads mainly

1 Like

@kingblah
I’ve just done a new fresh install of Debian 8 by using the Custom Installation and ticked the box: “Use the distribution kernel”.

All that worked for me, and the Service Status is now showing the right information of rtorrent and iRSSi-Autodl :slight_smile:

Still showing as “Disabled” which is really bizarre as the status on the disk tab reports:

Torrents in rtorrent
There are 1 torrents loaded

Titte95 - maybe I’ll give reinstalling and ticking that box a go. In practice, is there any difference between using Ubuntu (16) or Debian (8)?

I am not sure. Both should resemble eachother. I’ve heard that Debian should be more stable? I am not 100% sure.

It really is a matter of preference. In my opinion Ubuntu (especially coming into 16.04) is the better OS… only due to the vested interests that is being placed into maintaining and including packages and dependencies. Pretty much a bleeding edge Distro in terms of security updates and additional ppa’s.

Also, as @Titte95 said:

I should really make a note of this as we went round and round on this one until we noticed that their custom kernel is closer to trash than an actual kernel. Ticking that box is nearest thing to a unicorn for QuickBox.

2 Likes

I was going to mention this, but it seems others have stumbled upon this too. grsec is built into OVH’s custom kernel and it absolutely wrecks havoc when using these panels where we depend on the ability for one user (www-data) to see the processes of another running user ($username). This can be seen clearly by using a task manager such as h/top. With grsec enabled you can only see the processes owned by your user unless you run htop as root. As such, I highly recommend the stock kernel for your distribution or at the very least installing an OVH kernel that is not compiled with grsec and we should probably make this a note in the readme

2 Likes

Thanks @liara! I hadn’t known the actual reasoning behind the fail but this makes complete sense. The readme has been updated with a very loud notice.

2 Likes

Good to hear! I noticed this a while ago with our older panel – the underlying functionality of the calls is the same, so I’m not surprised neither panel functions properly when grsec is enabled.

1 Like

Liara and JMSolo - thank you both for your help (and patience with a newbie linux user such as myself!)

I’ll reinstall my distro (Ubuntu 16.04) and select the option to use the distribution kernel - I was actually unaware that OVH modify the system in the way you mentioned!

Reinstalled Ubuntu with the distribution kernel and selected home as the Quickbox directory, and glad to say that the status now reports correctly on the web panel!

However, I get the following error when trying to set my disk quota:

[kingblah@JJBSYS]:(0b)~$ sudo setdisk
    Username: kingblah
    Quota size for user: (EX: 500GB):
    500GB
    setquota: Cannot open quotafile //aquota.user: No such file or directory

Show your /etc/fstab real quick

It looks like my /fstab file did previously, which is odd - I did select “/home” as the directory in the QuickBox install. Shall I make the changes you mentioned before?

[kingblah@JJBSYS]:(0b)~$ cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
/dev/sda2       /       ext4    usrquota,errors=remount-ro,relatime     0      1
/dev/sda3       /home   ext4    defaults,relatime       1       2
/dev/sda4       swap    swap    defaults        0       0
proc            /proc   proc    defaults                0       0
sysfs           /sys    sysfs   defaults                0       0
devtmpfs        /dev    devtmpfs        rw      0       0

Yes, go ahead and make those same changes along with resetting your mount point for quotas.

quotaoff -a
service quota stop
mount -o remount /home
quotacheck -auMF vfsv1
quotaon -uv /home
service quota start

I think I know what is happening. They default the line of text the script looks for on their /(root) partition and /home has the text defaults, thus it gets passed over for /(root). I’ll work on that other solution I had in mind today to make this process more intelligent as the script for setting up the fstab is a bit basic at the moment.

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.