I’m sure you’ve all seen the posts about the CloudBit VPS Machines:
I thought it might be nice to share a little feedback about the service. I’m currently using a Scaleway C1 as my public torrent box to compare with.
- Simple to set up (like 3 clicks)
- Anonymous purchase process with bitcoin if preferred
- Incredibly competitive pricing (vs Online.net’s Scaleway boxes)
- Unlimited Gigabit, no worries about going over monthly allowances
- Limited storage options (I know this is being worked on)
- VPS so resources are shared (compared to the Scaleway / Online.net options) - noisy neighbours may cause trouble.
- Still kinda beta buggy (I’m sure this will resolve over the next few weeks)
Feedback regarding the image:
- Default username / password of seedbox/seedbox, while it’s easy to set up - It’d be nice to have a scripted command to change the defaults - e.g. typing quickpasswd and a bash prompt asking for the new default user / password ( not sure how easy that is to do after the initial setup)
- a quick IP lookup during startup in rc.local to update the IP address in /etc/profile would be good for new users.
- I tested the built in lets encrypt installer using box - worked flawlessly
- Downloaded Rogue one at a solid 100MB/s (megabytes) can’t really complain about performance.
- Storage has increased from 25GB to 50GB - with those speeds to took minutes to fill up 25 gb
Over all opinion:
For me, I don’t need a lot of storage - my VPS is primarily a VPN server with deluge running for the occasional public torrent.
The gigabit unlimited data is the main selling point for me. Good luck to CloudVPS, I’ll probably be switching my Scaleway box over sometime later this month.
For those interested - speeds transferring files from Roubais #1 to the UK maxed out the 200mbit connection:
Transferring it directly from Roubais #1 to my Hetzner box pretty much maxed out the upload:
As @JMSolo said, it’d be interesting to see how things go as the slots fill up - for now I’m very happy.