Apache2 completly messed up after running let's encrypt

Hi there

I decided to setup let’s encrypt with the “box install letsencrypt” followed the prompts got the string however now it seems apache2 will not start I can’t find any information in the outputs or anything

I’d rather not start all over again with a clean box for what I’m sure is an easy fix

Can anyone give me any idea of where to start looking for the problem everything was fine until I tried this

I have done it before without issue but that time was using the wiki and not the built in command

If apache won’t start, it’ll often tell you why in systemctl status apache2 (e.g. bind error, config error, etc)

Otherwise you can run a config test explicitly with apachectl -t which will narrow down the specific line of which config is causing apache to not start.

Ok that shed some light on things for me

AH00526: Syntax error on line 39 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-ssl.conf:
SSLCertificateFile: file ‘/etc/apache2/ssl/certs/hyperhardware.net-ssl.pem’ does not exist or is empty
Action ‘-t’ failed.
Can I remove all of the stuff that was changed by let’s encrypt back and start again?

Resetting the certificates to the QB defaults in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-ssl.conf should get your apache started again:

SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key

If you rerun the QB let’s encrypt installer, I would hazard a guess that the exact same outcome will happen again. If you are proficient at using letsencrypt from the CLI, as you suggested, I would recommend you just grab it using a method that is already familiar for you :slight_smile:

Sadly it gave me the same error about the files even tho I know they exist I guess I’m better off starting from scratch

Is this the domain? My guess is the lets encrypt process is failing…maybe a firewall or a proxy? LE needs to connect to your server to validate it.

Maybe your DNS is right.

Running though the process on a clean install using the wiki and not the built in command successfully installed on that record first time so I’m just in the process of putting everything back