Any workarounds for 14.04?

I have tried installing quickbox on 14.04 but apparently the support has been dropped.

Is there any way to install the software on 14.04 LTS? Furthermore, why has the version been dicontinued?

14.04 has been discontinued in lieu of QuickBox now supporting systemd for easier and cleaner process/system management.

If your provider does not offer 15.10 or 16.04 (which are now standard) I would do 1 of 2 things.

1. Seek out a more responsible provider. A sign of a negligent host is a host that doesn’t afford the option of modern OS images.
  2. Perform an upgrade of your current install, which is pretty snappy really… and here’s how:

Enter following command in terminal to install Core Update-Manager:

Terminal Command:
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core

Now enter following to open release file in text editor (If you are using non-LTS version then skip this step):

Terminal Command:
sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

Now change lts to normal in opened text file (If you are using non-LTS version then skip this step):

Prompt=normal

Now enter following commands in terminal to start upgrade:

Terminal Commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo do-release-upgrade

or use this command to start upgrade:

Terminal Command:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -d

Next would be to press enter throughout the process as in most cases you will want to keep your defaults in place. Again, I repeat… if your current host does not offer current images… skedaddle over to someone more competent.

2 Likes